Some foods can benefit from being packaged and sealed immediately after cooking – while still very hot. Products like soups, cooked salsas, and sauces are often heated for some time to the boiling point (or close to it) which eliminates most bacteria. If it can be packed in an air-tight container before it cools, this can reduce the opportunity for bacteria to enter into the package, which can extend shelf life without the use of preservatives. However, contents that are still hot when they are packaged can add some complexities to the process. How can you heat seal a container with extremely hot contents and make sure the seal stays intact? This is where our hot fill packaging products and techniques come into play. There are several factors to consider during the hot fill packaging process. These factors include (but are not limited to) cooling time, film hot-tack, rim contamination, and the materials used for the container and film. That’s where the expertise of Teinnovations is key.
Our process starts with truly understanding your product, your product application and where you want to take your product. We think through the critical questions to ask so that you don’t have to. We help and guide you through the “what” and the “why” of your packaging selection, what it will look like, how to get the best shelf life, and how to ensure your film and container combination is the most cost effective, efficient and yields the best level of performance.
With over 30 years of experience in food and food packaging, we at Teinnovations pride ourselves in client education and being your go-to partner for tailor-made packaging solutions. Our continuous research and data testing ensure we have the best packaging solutions for your product. We have a nimble company structure and a diverse portfolio of partners granting us access to unique products, flexible delivery timelines, and the best price.
Simply put, our customer intimacy extends us past the realm of being just a product catalog. We know the ins and outs when it comes to hot fill packaging, what is needed for an effective process, and how to get you there.
Hot Fill Packaging: Things to Consider when Utilizing this Process
- Provides better shelf life.
- Need to ensure the film the does not break when filling the hot contents (or shortly thereafter) to provide the processing benefits. Teinnovations is skilled at helping with this process.
- Elimination of rim and seal surface contaminants. Teinnovations has films that are designed so that they seal out even minor contaminants.
- Higher risk of the film not being sealed properly.
- The hot filling process can result in the seal breaking more often during cooling.
- The right equipment and process to quickly chill the product immediately after the hot-fill process is needed.
- Improper chilling of the product could result in condensation of hot water vapors, which could cloud the film.
The good news is that all of the downsides can be mitigated with the proper equipment and know-how. That’s where Teinnovations comes in!